On the first day I attempted a honey harvest (before my lovely extractor came in), I removed the freshest frame from the Blues, on which they’d only built out one side’s worth of honey. My roommate helped me fashion a fairly primitive method of extraction, and we made a mess, but the results were delicious and we had a great time!
For reference, this is what an empty frame looks like:
Here’s the bare beginnings on the reverse side of the the frame I harvested:
Here’s the side to be harvested:
I don’t have any uncapping knives, so we kept the electric kettle on boil and filled a mason jar with hot water and useful kitchen tools.
I also had smaller jars prepared to drain the honey into.
And so it began!
By the end of it, we had a few jars of honeycomb and seriously tasty honey.
Not bad for half a frame’s work! I ended up with honey up to my wrists, and I can’t say it was an unhappy time.