Just got stung for the first time since keeping bees, and I probably shouldn’t be as excited and happy as I am about it. Can’t help but feel, though, that it’s about time, as much as I go out and stick my face in their space.
I was out doing my evening gander at the bees, as per usual, in just my everyday clothes– I only wear the suit when I’m actually going to be touching the hive. And for the first time, one of the Silvers took offense to me getting up close and questioning them as to what’s been going on recently.
If you haven’t noticed, I’m a little weird. Probably normal in the context of beekeepers, though.
Anyway, I’ve been waiting for the opportunity to put my knowledge of removing stingers to the test, and I finally have; for the record, bobby pins are incredibly effective as scrapers.
And bee stings? Not that bad on me. I only got the one, and I got the chance to learn what being stung feels like as an adult (and one who expects it). For the record: it twinged at the sting, removal was easy, and it’s a strange almost-burning almost-throb, but it doesn’t show much, or hurt too hard. I can see why getting stung multiple times at once would be terrible, though. As it is, it’s neat to feel where the poison’s pumped, so to speak.
As an unrelated bonus, here’s a piece of errant comb I scraped from my slow Silvers this weekend:
They’re building cross-wise in the frames, so I took a bit off. At least it’s…made of wax?